Wednesday, February 06, 2008

What a week!



As a family, we never do anything halfway, it seems. Nope, if we're going to get sick, then we realllllly get sick, no beating around the bush with the sniffles.


Last Monday Kurt came down with a bad case of salmonella poisoning, followed a few days later by pneumonia. We spent Friday in the ER after am ambulance came for him since he was too weak and feverish to get to the car himself. They released him late that evening, and then after a feverish and horrible night, his doctor had him re-admitted Saturday morning, at which point he was ALSO diagnosed with influenza. Poor Kurt!


Then on Sunday, Anna, who had been running a fever for a few days, spiked up to 105.5 degrees and we had to rush her in to the ER, too. I took her to the same hospital that Kurt was at, I figured it was best to have all my loved ones consolidated, you know? Turns out she was in the early stages of pneumonia, too, and had a raging double ear infection. They dosed her up with super-powered antibiotics and sent her home when the fever broke.


And now it's Wednesday, and everything is starting to get back to normal. Anna has been totally fine since we started the antibiotics and Kurt came home from the hospital Monday evening. He's still on oxygen since his poor lungs have just been thrashed about and need time to recover. But today he woke up and showered and put on real clothes and is working a bit from home and generally starting to get his energy back.


On top of all that, my sister-in-law, Monica has been battling a bad case of the flu, too, all while worrying about Kurt and Anna and taking all my panicky phone calls and keeping me steady. As of yesterday, she's lost her voice but is starting to feel much better, too.


And not to be forgotten in all the hubbub, Silvia had her 1st birthday yesterday!! She's 1! We had a small cake for her and she devoured her slice like a real connoisseur and tried to grab her candle with both hands. We'll do more of a celebration when everyone is feeling better.


And me? How's the momma? Better, definitely better. Anna is at preschool today and I'm catching up on the piles of laundry and e-mail and, thank goodness, our WONDERFUL house cleaner will be coming tomorrow to help me get everything back on track. And my friends, my friends, my friends. There are none better, I have to say. They totally jumped up, moved in and took care of everything so that I could focus on my family. Thank you! Mom and Terry, of course of course, have been amazing. Terry is going to watch Anna tomorrow, which happens to be Kurt's birthday, so hopefully I'll be able to throw together a low-key celebration.


I am so glad that everyone is getting better! We are going to aspire to no more trips to the ER for the rest of the year.

1 comment:

Lea said...

Happy Birthday, Silvia! I hope everyone is fully healed now!

You can also check out my blog at:
http://redheadedchronicles.blogspot.com/