Monday, January 26, 2009

Princesses






I fought it, I railed against it, I bemoaned the stereotyping and ubiquitous copyrighted characters... but the princesses won.

Disney princesses live in my house. They are in every room. The costumes are strewn across my floors, the books fill our baskets. Cinderella has taken up permanent residence in our DVD player. Every coloring book, sticker and pretend play scenario is princess-centric. We thought at first we'd lucked out with Silvia, who seemed to lean towards tomboy and would never let Anna put crowns on her head, but that's all changed.

"Mama? Cinderella's crying!", is one of the constant phrases I hear all day, those blue eyes shining in shared distress, regardless of if we've watched the movie that day or a week ago.

"Mama! Cinderella fairy gaa-mother! She go to the ball!" And then, of course, then it starts.

"I wanna be a blue princess!" And then, 10 seconds after I arrange the dress on her small frame, "I wanna be a pink princess!"
Anna, ever helpful, goads her on. "Silvia, don't you want to be Sleeping Beauty now? Then I can be Cinderella and we can dance!"

It's all very cute except for two things. One, Silvia cannot get into the dresses on her own and two, they are too long for her to walk in, so she invariably gets caught up, tangled in a princess pile on the floor having a princess tantrum.

Royalty is a heavy burden to bear.

1 comment:

Alison said...

It does seem to be a law of nature that little girls will love princesses. I have seen it too! Can you cut off the bottom of your costumes so they aren't tripping hazards? Oh the perils of having two girls!