Thursday, December 08, 2005

On the Move

Anna has developed this strange crawl/sit/roll maneuver that seems to really be working for her.  Every time I look up, she’s in a different part of the room!  I guess my carefree days as a mom of a non-mobile child are over now, huh?  J  As for genuine crawling, so far Anna has only managed to go backwards, but she’s really, really trying now so everyday it feels like she’s about to really get it figured out.  Maybe today will be the day.  What she does is start in a sitting position, reach far over for something, until she’s on her belly.  Then she sort of squirms/army crawls towards the object of her desire, and then she rolls a bit, pushes herself up with her hands, and ends up sitting again.  It sounds complicated, but she’s gotten so good at these things that she is really getting around quickly. 

It’s funny when she tries to crawl, though, and only ends up going backwards.  It clearly frustrates her, but still, she’s moving, so it’s exciting for her too.  Her major development these past few days, and one that we’ll have to adjust the crib to, is that she can sit herself up all on her own now.  I’ve gone to get her from her nap several times lately and she’s been sitting up in her crib, waiting for me and pulling on the crib bumper.  Kurt and I plan to lower the crib mattress tonight so she can’t pull herself up and out, too. 

It has been ARCTIC around here this whole week.  This morning we woke up to a balmy -8 degrees!  I haven’t taken the baby out of her pajamas all week, it’s just been too cold.  It doesn’t really matter anyway, since we’ve hardly left the house at all since Monday.  I finished all my Christmas shopping that day, and have spent the rest of the week (and the weeks to come, I bet) working on all the hats I’m crocheting for people for the holidays.  A hand-made Christmas gift sounds nice… but then there’s the actual hand-making part that you have to do!  I’ve become a hat fiend.  Most of the ones I am making are for children, and Anna has been a willing size model, thankfully.  She loves to pat her head, which means ‘hat’ in sign language, and try to put the hats on and off. 

It’s amazing how much she’s grown-up just in the past few weeks!  She’s no longer so shy of strangers, she’ll let me leave the room (briefly) without crying, and she has let several other people hold her without any complaint.  She is still very shy and nervous of men, but that’s fine with me!  We’ll just hope that lasts into her teenage years, right?  Really, she seems to be losing some of her sensitivity to new situations, which is a relief.  She still gets nervous, of course, but a lot of the time now she’ll just go with the flow and play and be herself, regardless of where we are or who’s around. 

Mostly, though, she is just displaying a lot more initiative and curiosity to explore her surroundings and it is so fun to watch as she discovers new things and gets excited about what she can do. 

Happy Birthday to my brother Val, he turns 30 today!  Congratulations, we love you and can’t wait to see you in a few weeks! 

No comments: