Monday, August 06, 2007

Anna Takes a Tumble

My heart just STOPPED for about 5 solid seconds.


Anna was going up the stairs to the playroom, just a short flight of 6 steps. I was sitting on the living room floor with Silvia. I look up just as she steps... BACKWARDS.


Into thin air.


Poor kid! She went head over heels down the stairs, caught her lip on the edge of the last step, ending up in a pile at the bottom. She's been running around in just her panties all morning, so it was even more pathetic looking; a tumbled up jumble of arms and elbows and knees and messy curly brown hair.



Then the screaming started. There was blood everywhere from her lip. I finally got her calmed down, the lip puffed up and stopped bleeding, nothing broken, just a scare.


Anna looks up at me from the couch where she's cuddling her juice and snuggled in a big blanket.


"Anna fell down the stairs. ALL the stairs." Big brown, watery eyes focused on me.


"I know, sweetie. That was very scary, but you're okay."


She nods her head very seriously.


"Wanna go to the playroom. Not gonna fall down the stairs, no. Anna will be VERY careful."


We go up to the playroom, past the scene of the accident.


At the top of the stairs, she stops, looks down, and says, "Hey! Mama! Anna rolled over and over! Over and OVER, Mama!" And laughs hysterically over her fat lip and runs off.


As if it were fun! Sheesh. I think I just sprouted my first gray hair.

No comments: