Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What day is it?




"Mama, is it Tuesday? Daddy stays home on Saturday and Sunday, is it Saturday and Sunday? It's Wednesday, Mama! I go to school on Wednesday with my sister!"

The days of the week are Very Important around here right now. I've been working to set up a more consistent routine and, boy howdy, has Anna latched on to it like a drowning cat. She LOVES her routine. She loves knowing, as the first light of day touches her face, what today will be.

All throughout the day, too, she reminds me of her expectations. As we walk out of her classroom at school, she says, "Today is Monday, Mom. Now we go home and Cici takes a nap and we read a story and have a snack!"

Never before have I appreciated the full importance of a routine. Sure, I read the parenting tips, I listened to all the media mumbo-jumbo about creating a safe and certain daily path for your child to follow. Whatever. What about free spirit? What about creative boredom and adventure and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants and leave the house without sippy cups or snacks or diapers?

Turns out, fancy-free is for people without kids. Routine is the way to go, my friends. Happy children and calm days are ALL ABOUT routine.

It's Monday. Monday, we Hula!


2 comments:

Alison said...

I love Anna's dress!

I couldn't agree more. Routine keeps us all sane.

Lea said...

I can't believe how big Silvia is getting! Your girls are really growing up and are so adorable!