Thursday, March 12, 2009

Choking Scare

Oh, man. That so sucked. I don't think I've been that scared for my child since Anna nearly threw herself down some concrete stairs.

Last night we took the girls out for pizza at a local joint. They love it there, Silvia especially because they have awesome corn chips that she always dips in their homemade ranch dressing. She usually ends up happily covered head to toe in dressing and eats about two bites of pizza.

Last night, I had looked away to talk to Kurt a bit. When I glanced back at her, she was arched back, sliding off her chair, mouth wide open. She wasn't making any noise and look terrified. I freaked, pulling her onto my lap and pounding on her back. Nothing. Kurt grabbed her from me as the people sitting nearby started to call out, flipped her over upside down and beat her back as hard as he could. She finally coughed and started screaming. I've never been so happy to hear that cry in my life.

It took her quite a while to calm down (me, too!). She threw up a little bit, getting the stuck chip fully out of her throat. After that, she happily wandered about and then went to play, all giggles, in the kids area at the back of the restaurant.

The whole thing probably lasted less than a minute, but my skin is still crawling.

No more corn chips.

4 comments:

Maida said...

Holy crap. I'm so glad she's okay.
Poor mama!

Alison said...

Those are such scary moments, when a minute lasts hours! I'm glad she was a-okay.

Lea said...

Wow, how terrifying! Choking is such an extremely frightening thing. SO very glad she's okay!

Anonymous said...

Phew! Glad she's okay!!!
Kira loves those darn chips too.