Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Giggle Fit

My parents always told me it would happen.  They warned me, but I didn’t understand.  “One day,” they said, “You too will have a daughter and you will know the true ear-piercing reality of little girl giggles.”  I shrugged it off, thinking blithely… How bad could it be?

Now I know.

Anna has discovered the giggle.  The high-pitched, practically screaming, only-dogs-can-hear-parts-of-it giggle. On Sunday we got up and dressed early and headed out to the local breakfast hot spot, the Omelette Parlor.  In an award-worthy good mood, Anna simply could not be contained.  She giggled and bubbled and giggled some more, with a screamy intensity that was too much for something so earthbound as a large restaurant.  Kurt and I were at a loss; we didn’t want to surpress this obvious happiness, but she was so LOUD in her joy! 

With parental quick thinking, we distracted her with crayons and pancakes, and managed to get through our meal with only a few scathing looks from the other patrons.  In general, her cheer in our day to day lives has been contagious and totally captivating, but also exhausting.  I mean, really, who can continue on at that level of happiness for hours and not feel drained?  I’ll tell you who.

Little girls. 

No comments: