Friday, April 20, 2007

A Day for Recovery... and Disinfection

Well, we are home today. Anna finally decided that maybe starting to drink again would be a good think, thank goodness, so we've spent the day trying to get our lives back into some semblance of order. She is doing SOOOOO much better, still a little weak and not 100%, but definitely not sick anymore, just recovering.

This has been an exhausting week of little sleep, lots of adrenaline and rushing around, tedious hours of waiting and cranky kids. It's a huge relief to be home again, even though there was a lot of work to do to get things back to normal. We had to go through the house and clean, wash and disinfect pretty much everything Anna's touched. Her particular virus is a tenacious bug, so we ended up going over all her toys and washing pretty much all the linens and blankets in the house. But it's all done now, everything's clean and nice, even the girls. We scrubbed them both down before their naps.

The quiet time today while they are sleeping feels a little dizzying after all the worry and frantic activity of the week. But I've got my balance back, my daughters are healthy, my hubby and I are still a great team, and generally I'm just grateful for a happy ending to this snapshot in our lives. I seriously don't know what we would have done without Mom and Terry, too, they were so wonderful, just stepped up immediately to help with Silvia while we dealt with everything going on with Anna. Thank you both SO much, I am a lucky girl to have such an amazing family!

On a down note, we did have to cancel our trip that was planned for this weekend. We were supposed to leave this morning early for Virginia to see family and go to my friend Wayne's wedding. I've known him half my life and I feel terrible to miss this big moment, but there was just no choice. Even though we're out of the hospital today, Anna's still recovering and I just would have felt terrible leaving here her even for a few days. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to see Wayne and his new bride, Rachel, sometime this summer.

And that's pretty much it right now. Kurt and I are learning that parenting is just really the practice of managed helplessness; 99% of the time there's just not a lot you can do but wait and see and be a presence of support for your child. It's a harsh reality, but for now, for this moment, it was enough, we all got through it and now we can move on to the next big thing.

Oh, good lord. What is the next big thing? These kids are enough to make a saint nervous. Here's hoping I can handle it!

No comments: