Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Birthday Week

Thursday is Anna’s birthday, I can’t believe it!  I still find myself saying to people, “I just had a baby.”  But, no, it’s not true, she’s 1 already. And what a good 1 year old she is.  Anna behaved very well for the majority of our trip out to see Monica and Chad this past weekend.  Sure, there were some episodes of baby crankiness and emotional drama, but on the whole, I think she did very well.  I was very nervous about taking her to Monica’s baby shower, too. I didn’t want her to throw a fit and ruin the whole thing, but she was absolutely perfect, as long as I stayed within site.  She likes her momma, does Anna. 

It was a wonderful trip.  We got in Thursday night, and Monica met us at the airport.  She’s about 7 months pregnant, and looks amazing.  She’s got the perfect basketball belly.  It was also Chad’s birthday, so we went out to dinner at a really nice seafood restaurant in Alexandria, right on the water.  Anna was charming the whole evening, too, which added to the pleasure of the experience.  Friday we went down and walk the National Mall, visiting the war memorials and the Lincoln Monument.  It was chilly but really beautiful out and we walked for hours.  Saturday was the highlight of the visit, Monica’s baby shower, the likes of which I had never seen before and may never see again.  It was a baby extravaganza.  I think Monica was a little overwhelmed by the whole outpouring of gifts and affection, but I wasn’t surprised.  She’s a wonderful girl and everyone who meets her loves her and wanted to celebrate her pregnancy in high style.  Little Ryan will have everything he could possibly need when he comes to the world, and then some.  Plus, the cake was really good!  Really, a truly memorable party, and it was great to get to see Chad’s family again.  While we celebrated, Kurt had a day to himself down at the Air and Space Museum, which was really spectacular.  Sunday we relaxed more, and met my friend Wayne down in Georgetown for lunch, then had really yummy Thai food for dinner. 

Anna did pretty well on the airplane ride back, so it’s probably best to just strike the whole flight there from my memory.  The less said, the better.  She’s readjusting to her schedule very well today, and slept great last night, so I’m hoping she’ll be in top form for the party on Saturday.  We’re having dinner at mom’s on Thursday night for her actual birthday, since mom will be out of town for the party. 

I’ll try and get a new photo album up this week, including some from the trip.

No comments: